The HeadRush MX5 is the newest and most streamlined multi-fx module from HeadRush! This article will answer the most frequently asked questions to get you up to speed on the massive potential of the MX5!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the HeadRush MX5 have reverb/delay tail spillover across presets?
- Can I load custom/3rd party impulse responses (IRs) into the HeadRush MX5?
- Can I turn off the amp/cab models for specific outputs or send my guitar directly to an output with no amp modeling applied at all?
- What kind of MIDI messages can be sent/received by the HeadRush MX5?
- Included Amp, Cab, Mic, and FX Models
- Is there a list of included Amp, Cab, Mic, and FX models?
- Does the HeadRush MX5 have a tremolo pedal model?
- Does the HeadRush MX5 have any pitch or harmony FX?
- Does the HeadRush MX5 have a bit-crusher FX?
- Does the HeadRush MX5 have any doubler FX?
- Can I use the FX Sends/Returns to add my other hardware pedals and effects to my signal chain?
- Assigning Footswitches/Expression Pedal
- Can I change the settings with the expression pedal?
- Can I arrange my footswitch assignments in any order?
- Can I assign my footswitches to only control only rig preset selection or only model selection?
- Can I assign half of my footswitches to control models, and half of my footswitches to control rig selection at the same time?
- Can I turn off the auto-assignment of models to footswitches?
- How many parameters can I assign to the expression pedal A + B?
- How does the EXP input work?
- Which expression pedals work with the HeadRush MX5?
- Is it possible to add a third expression pedal?
- What are Scenes?
- Why does it seem like there is a delay when changing a patch?
- Presets and Setlists
- What are Rigs?
- How many presets does the HeadRush MX5 have?
- How do I restore the factory presets?
- Is there any easy way to search for presets on the HeadRush MX5?
- Can I backup, save, load, or share my HeadRush MX5 presets to my Mac/PC?
- Where can I share or download new HeadRush MX5 presets?
- What are Setlists?
- What is gapless preset-switching and why does it matter?
- Recording and Re-Amping
- Firmware Updates
- Warranty and Technical Support
Featuring a finely-tuned quad-core processor and powered by exclusive Eleven® HD Expanded™ DSP software, the HeadRush MX5™ delivers the most versatile, realistic-sounding, and responsive amplifier, cabinet, microphone, and FX models ever found in a road-ready floorboard guitar FX processor. The touch display enables you to touch, swipe, and drag-and-drop to instantly create and edit your rigs in an unprecedentedly realistic and intuitive way. Plus, it features gapless preset changes with reverb and delay tail spillover, a built-in looper with 20 minutes of record time, the ability to load custom impulse response files, and exclusive original boutique effects that can’t be found anywhere else. Whether you’re looking for a classic warm vintage amp with natural tube drive, wide ambient stereo delay textures with infinite feedback or the heaviest of heavy djent tone, the HeadRush MX5 covers it all and everything between.
Every HeadRush MX5 includes a download card for (2) free IR files from Celestion. We've put together a video that walks through how to download and install these great-sounding IR's -
The following system requirements are the minimum specifications required for using the HeadRush MX5 with your computer:
- Windows: Windows 8.1
- Mac: macOS 10.14
- Host USB port; High-speed USB 2.0 or 3.0
No, the MX5 must be powered only with the included power supply.
It may look compatible with popular multi-pedal power supplies but the MX5 will require more power than those boxes can provide. These boxes are a popular way to eliminate or reduce ground noise between different pedals by supplying a common ground. The MX5 is fully grounded through and through and will not add extra noise when integrated into a pedal system using the included power supply.
- (1) ¼-inch (6.35mm) TS input (guitar)
- (1) ¼-inch (6.35mm) TRS input (secondary expression pedal)
- (1) ¼-inch (6.35mm) Stereo input (FX Returns)
- (1) ¼-inch (6.35mm) Stereo output (FX Send)
- (2) ¼-inch (6.35mm) TRS outputs (amp- or line-level)
- (1) ?-inch (3.5mm) Stereo Output (Phones Out)
- (1) ?-inch (3.5mm) Stereo Input (Aux In)
- (1) ?-inch (3.5mm) Midi Output (Adapter included)
- (1) ?-inch (3.5mm) Midi Input (Adapter included)
- (1) USB Type-B port
- (1) DC power input
- Dimensions: (WxDxH): 11.6” x 5.9” x 2.75” (295 x 150 x 70mm)
- Weight: 3.46lbs (1.57kg)
Yes, reverb/delay spillover can be enabled/disabled for each rig by tapping the TAIL button in the rig view.
Yes, The HeadRush MX5 supports all common wave formats (WAV, AIFF), sample rates (up to 192kHz), and bit depths (up to 32-bit).
Can I turn off the amp/cab models for specific outputs or send my guitar directly to an output with no amp modeling applied at all?
Yes, you can do this using the Alternate Output setting, which is located on the global settings page.
Yes, the HeadRush MX5 will accept and send MIDI Program Change and Control Change messages via the 1/8 '' MIDI in/out ports. This can be used to change rig presets and specific Program Change messages can be assigned on the Hardware Assign page for each preset. You can also set the global send/receive MIDI channel in the Global Settings menu.
Back to top
Included Amp, Cab, Mic, and FX Models
Yes, you can view this at http://www.headrushfx.com.
Yes. Some of our amp models include their onboard tremolo, but there is also a tremolo pedal model that can be used separately.
Yes. Our Wham and Harm models cover pitch shifting and harmonization effects.
Yes. Our 8-Bit Crush model gives you a wide variety of grimey crushing sounds. You can even individually mute or invert any of the 8-bits.
Yes. Our Stereo Doubler model quickly and easily gives you the classic wide sound of double-tracked guitars.
Yes, hardware guitar pedals, rack effects, and any other gear can be looped into your signal chain by using the FX Send and Return ports on the HeadRush. Use the FX Loop block to place the Send/Return at any point in your HeadRush signal chain.
Back to top
Assigning Footswitches/Expression Pedal
Using the hands-free edit mode, you can adjust any parameter without having to bend over. Hold the footswitch assigned to the model that you want to adjust, select the parameter, and use the expression pedal to fine-tune your settings.
Yes! You can arrange your footswitch assignments on the Hardware Assign page without affecting the model's placement in the signal chain.
Yes, you can do this by holding the bottom left footswitch and selecting the Rig, or Stomp views accordingly.
Can I assign half of my footswitches to control models, and half of my footswitches to control rig selection at the same time?
Yes, you can do this by holding the bottom left footswitch and selecting the Hybrid view.
Yes, you can adjust this parameter in the global settings menu.
The expression pedal can function in Classic Mode or Advanced Mode.
- In Classic Mode, you can assign one parameter to each expressional pedal (A and B). Using the toe switch will select the other expression pedal and deactivate (bypass) the current expression pedal’s parameter. For example, if you assign a wah pedal to Expression Pedal A and a volume pedal to Expression Pedal B, only one of them will be active at any time; when you are controlling the wah pedal, the volume pedal will be bypassed, and vice versa.
- In Advanced Mode, you can assign up to four parameters to each expression pedal (A and B). Moving the pedal will adjust all of its assigned parameters simultaneously. Using the toe switch will select the other expression pedal and leave the current pedal’s parameters active and at their maximum values.
If you connect an external expression pedal to this ¼" input, the external expression will control parameters assigned to expression pedal B. When an external expression pedal is connected, the internal expression pedal will only control parameters assigned to expression pedal A.
Most standard expression pedals will work with the HeadRush MX5. We recommend the M-Audio EX-P expression pedal.
Yes! A third expression pedal can be added by plugging an additional midi controller or pedal into the MIDI In port using the included adapter!
A Scene is a combination of models that can be turned on or off with a single footswitch. When the footswitch assigned to that scene is pressed, multiple models included in that scene will turn on or off depending on how they are assigned. To set and edit scenes for a footswitch, go to the Hardware Assign page and tap Toggle/Hold/Scene. Here you can choose models assigned to that scene and whether they turn on or off when the scene is activated.
The switches on the HeadRush MX5 are dual-purpose: holding down the switch will enter hands-free edit mode, and letting go initiates the action of the assigned pedal (on/off). This means that a model will not turn on/off until the associated pedal is released, which may differ from some standalone pedals that active/deactivate on the initial press.
Back to top
You can have up to 50 loop layers with up to 5 minutes of recorded audio per layer, up to 20 minutes of total recorded audio per loop.
When you press this footswitch, the last recorded loop layer will be removed. You can continue to press this switch to remove layers in the opposite order they were added.
When you press this footswitch, you can "punch-in/punch-out" of a specific part of your loop and overwrite all previous layers. This is useful when you need to fix a very small part of a loop.
The HeadRush MX5 records one loop at a time.
Back to top
Presets and Setlists
When using the HeadRush, a Rig can be considered a preset. A Rig contains all of the 11 footswitch slots and their associated models (amps, cabs, and effects) and each model's parameter settings. This makes it easy to save and recall an entire signal chain at once.
The HeadRush MX5 comes preloaded with 270 factory presets covering a huge variety of genres and styles.
You can restore your factory presets by holding footswitch 2+3 (the two right footswitches on the bottom row) while powering on the HeadRush MX5. Keep holding these two switches until you see "Reverting..." displayed on the 4" touchscreen.
Yes, just simply tap the magnifying glass icon on the top bar of the Rig View screen and you can search through all of your presets using the QWERTY-style touch keyboard that appears. Note: If you are currently using a setlist when you tap the magnifying glass icon, you will only search within that setlist.
Yes, you can connect your HeadRush MX5 to your Mac or PC's USB port, then go to your global settings, and enable USB Transfer Mode. Once you're in this mode, the HeadRush MX5 will show up as a mass-storage device (like a USB drive) and you can drag and drop to easily transfer your rig presets, model presets, and setlists.
Check out our community at www.headrush.cloud!
A setlist is an ordered collection of rig presets, which you can save and recall at a later time. You can use the setlists to quickly organize your rigs. This is useful, for instance, if you only need some of your rigs for a performance; you can save a setlist of just those rigs so you don’t have to spend time searching through all of your rigs before playing the next song. You could also use this feature to organize your presets into specific genres, or for certain guitars.
Gapless preset-switching is an exclusive feature on the HeadRush MX5 and means that any reverb or delay-tails will continue to ring out, even after changing your preset or rig. This way there is no break in the signal, making your rig changes sound fluid and seamless. For a demonstration, see the video here.
Recording and Re-Amping
Yes, the HeadRush MX5 can be connected directly to a USB port on your computer for recording straight into your favorite DAW. The USB port will supply 4 channels in and out, including stereo dry and wet signals.
A Windows driver is available on the support page for Windows users. A driver is not necessary for connection with a Mac.
The HeadRush MX5 will transfer signals up to 24-bit, 96kHz for recording.
Yes! With the MX5 assigned as the output of your DAW, you can listen to audio playback while recording.
Yes! Direct recorded guitar tracks can be played back from your DAW and routed through the MX5 effects and amp simulation as a form or re-amping.
Yes! Stay up to date on our latest firmware releases by signing up for our email list at www.headrushfx.com, and by liking or following us on our social media channels. Look to the bottom right of the page to find links to subscribe to our email list or follow our social media channels.
You can download the latest firmware by visiting www.headrushfx.com and clicking on Downloads. Firmware loaders are available for both PC and Mac.
Stay up to date on our latest firmware releases by signing up for our e-mail list at https://www.headrushfx.com, and by liking or following us on our social media channels.
Back to top
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a HeadRush product, or if you just have a pre-sales question, the HeadRush technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community, support, phone support, email support.